Tess is a Costume Designer who works across film, television, opera, theatre and musicals. Her passion for character & costume has been explored through these varied mediums across many periods, visual styles and years.
Tess has been awarded five AFI (now AACTA) Awards for Best Costume Design in a Feature Film and been nominated for, and received, APDG (Australian Production Designers Guild), Green Room, Helpmann and Sydney Theatre Critics Awards for her Costume Design in film, opera and theatre.
Tess recently designed costumes for the soon to be released feature film DANCE ACADEMY THE COMEBACK, and the BBC / Foxtel television co-production THE KETTERING INCIDENT starring Elizabeth Debicki and Matt Le Nevez. Previously she completed costumes on THE WATER DIVINER, Russell Crowe's directorial feature film debut , which won her her most recent AACTA and APDG awards.
Tess' designs were showcased in THE SAPPHIRES, which had its world premiere at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and had a wide international theatrical release in 2013. She was awarded an AACTA for Best Costume Design for her work on the film.
Tess won AFI’s for Best Costume Design for her design in the feature films SPOTSWOOD, DIRTY DEEDS & BOOTMEN, and received a nomination for MR RELIABLE. Tess also designed costumes for the feature films COSI, RADIANCE, DIANA AND ME, SUBTERANO , GREENKEEPING, and the feature documentary about the life & times of Florence Broadhurst UNFOLDING FLORENCE.
Theatre work includes A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE and THE DIARY OF A MADMAN both of which travelled to BAM in New York.
Tess has worked extensively at Company B Belvoir Street theatre and at the Sydney Theatre Company where some of her career highlights include: THE SECRET RIVER, NAMATJIRA, THE WILD DUCK, THE ADVENTURES OF SNUGGLEPOT AND CUDDLEPIE, CLOUDSTREET (including 2 world tours), TOY SYMPHONY, THE JUDAS KISS, THE SEAGULL, RIFLEMIND, THE GREAT, FAR AWAY and VICTORY. Tess recently designed Belvoir’s productions of THE DROVER'S WIFE and THE FAITH HEALER.
Tess’ Opera Costume Design includes : LA TRAVIATA staged on Sydney Harbour by Opera Australia; SWEENEY TODD for the Lyric Opera of Chicago and the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, PETER GRIMES for Opera Australia and the Houston Grand Opera. Tess’ musical theatre credits include CHESS, SHANE WARNE THE MUSICAL, SPRING AWAKENING and THE WEDDING SONG.
- APDG Hero Frock Hire Award for Costume Design on a Feature Film, The Water Diviner, 2016.
- APDG Cameron Cresswell Award for Outstanding Contribution to Design in Australia, Lifetime Achievement, 2016.
- AACTA Award Best Achievement in Costume Design, The Water Diviner, 2015.
- AACTA Award Best Achievement in Costume Design, The Sapphires, 2013
- Australian Production Designer's Guild Award Nomination, La Traviata, 2012.
- Sydney Theatre Critics Award, The Diary of a Madman, 2011.
- Helpmann Award Nomination Best Costume Design, Peter Grimes, 2010.
- Green Room Award Nomination Best Costume Design, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, 2009.
- Sydney Theatre Award Nomination Best Costume Design, The Wonderful World of Dissocia, 2009.
- Helpmann Award Nomination Best Costume Design, The Wonderful World of Dissocia, 2009.
- Sydney Theatre Critics Award Best Costume Design, The Great, 2008.
- Helpmann Award Nomination Best Costume Design, Victory, 2004.
- AFI Award Best Achievement in Costume Design, Dirty Deeds, 2002.
- AFI Award Best Achievement in Costume Design, Bootmen, 2000.
- Green Room Award Best Costume Design, Cloudstreet, 1999.
- AFI Award Nomination Best Costume Design, Mr. Reliable, 1996.
- AFI Award Best Achievement in Costume Design, Bootmen, 1991.
The Yellow Agency